Sunday, May 6, 2012

HOW NOT TO HAVE A POLITICAL DISCUSSION

I'm going to be honest here. The words politics and political parties generally set my teeth on edge.  Why?  It isn't that I don't respect the opinions of fellow citizens, or even that I dislike an opposing viewpoint.  Everyone is entitled to own their opinions, even if they are bat-crumb crazy. It's just that some people bleed left or right, red or blue. And I don't understand it.  That's a foreign language to me, and frankly, not one that I'm all that interested in.  Do not mistake that for meaning that I'm not interested, or that I simply don't care about who is running things locally, statewide, and nationally.  I do.  I'm not an uneducated ogre that hides in a cave and expects everyone else to make informed decisions for me or take care of me. That being said, here are five things we shouldn't do to make ourselves heard.

#1: Name-call/Label/Use "Descriptive Terms"
Nothing, and I repeat, nothing, will turn me off faster than hearing a string of good-for-nothing-long-haired-hippie-freak-squishy-radicals talk spew from your mouth before you've even attempted to tell me anything about an issue or person.  We learned in Kindergarten that it isn't nice to call people names.  It's a lesson we should remember as adults.  Adjectives are fine.  I'm a fan.  They make life spicy. Hearing them in a negative connotation in reference to an opposing viewpoint simply isn't cool, kids. 

#2: Assume that the other person is an idiot because their opinion is different
(See rule #1 in regards to name calling.) Do you know how I decide whether or not to vote for someone? I don't follow their campaign trail with captivated attention while making notes on scraps of paper I squirrel away in drawer labeled "The Future." What's paper anyway? When the time comes for an election, again, be it county, state, or federal, I look up the candidates running for a particular position.  That's right.  I go online, see where they stand on issues that I can't personally compromise on, and THEN I make my notes.  I don't stash them in the drawer though, I generally take them with me into the polling booth.  My point here is this, give people the benefit of the doubt that, despite the fact that they disagree with you, they have put a milliliter of thought into who they are voting for or what they support.  If you happen to be one of those people that simply fills out a ballet in the shape of a Christmas tree, or a smiley face, I suppose that is your given right as a citizen too.  As is your choice to refrain from voting. You do, however, forfeit your right to complain about anything at any given time. Ever.

#3: Wage a verbal sparring war with anyone, anywhere
Accept the fact that some of us are more private about our ideas and beliefs.  (And, egad, sometimes people are just joking.) There are those folks that will stand and deliver a passionate speech as to why they believe the way they do politically speaking.  They're called extroverts.  That's great.  The world needs passion.  There are also these people called introverts.  Engaging them in a hot under the collar debate isn't going to win them over.  Some folks just need to process without you cramming your viewpoint down their throats. That's fine too.  Just be aware of the fact that not everyone has the desire to have a full-fledged political standoff.  And don't assume that there isn't much going on in their heads or that they can't form a logical argument against you. (See Rule #2)  People communicate in different ways, and the best way to get your point across is to be respectful of that.

#4: Ignore the fact that you've gone too far
When you start hearing the chirp of awkward crickets, it just might be time to pull back and change topic.  Perhaps settle on sports or music. Is there anything worse than being trapped in a conversation that you absolutely don't want to be in?  Think about that.  Read the tone of those around you.  After you've blasted out your opinions, whether or not people have jumped on your bandwagon, wrap it up.  Leave them wanting more, right?  Silence isn't an indication of weakness or lack of thought.  It could mean that the person is considering what you've said, congratulations, or that they have reached their limit on the amount of hootenanny they can take. Either way, you can't lead a dead horse to water.

#5: Ignore all semblances of consideration and kindness
It doesn't count if you preface your argument by saying, "I'm not trying to be mean here," and then do just precisely that. Again, let's look at the lessons learned in Kinder. Treat others the way you want to be treated.  How about with a little respect? There are some people that will not concede any point, ever. EVER.  That's their right too.  But oh-the-guacamole, live and let live! Politics aren't everything. GASP! That's right, I said it.  The world doesn't revolve around donkeys and elephants.  At the end of the day, we're all (hopefully) just trying to do the best we can.  We disagree.  It happens.  It's a good thing. Being nasty about other people simply doesn't help anything.  There is SO MUCH beauty in being able to disagree, but while shaking hands and laughing about the hot debate you've just wrapped up. Ultimately, it's how we act on our beliefs that define us.  It isn't how loudly or passionately we get them across, it's what we do about them that matters.


1 comment:

  1. Agreed! Especially with the idea that I might be "ignorant" because I voted for XYZ political person. Isn't this just part of the whole democratic process??? We get to vote for who WE want to.

    Makes me also think these are good rules for sharing Jesus with people - kindness, respect - they go a long way when listening to someone share their story.

    ReplyDelete